Recognition of professional qualifications

As well as being recognised as a higher academic qualification, a number of our degrees are also accredited by professional bodies in the United Kingdom. An accredited degree may entitle you to work in a specific profession within the UK, and abroad (where there are reciprocating arrangements with professional bodies in other countries).

The requirements to practice a profession vary from country to country. If you wish to practice your profession outside the United Kingdom, you are advised to confirm that the UK professional qualification you seek is valid in the country in which you are intending to work.

The United Kingdom currently subscribes to The Mutual Recognition of Professional Qualifications (MRPQ) Directive. The MRPQ Directive provides a reciprocal framework of rules which enables European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss nationals to have their professional qualifications recognised in a state other than the one in which the qualification was obtained. In the event of a no deal Brexit, from 1 January 2021, the MRPQ Directive will no longer apply to the UK. However, it is anticipated that there will be a new system for recognising professional qualifications between the UK, EEA, and Switzerland.

Return to homepage.